Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Vanilla 1.0.3 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMoreno R.
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2009

Tomorrow.

I felt a little bad about not actually posting on the anniversary, but I also thought I'd do better to think before I wrote. Ultimately, I find myself only able to point at some others' work.

This article is from Counterpunch, a relatively radical leftist publication: The end of the little red cars. It goes well with a key book in the Wiki: We Were the People. This one is from The American Conservative, obviously nominally different in outlook: Cold War without end. It goes well with another key book, Cold War Triumphalism.

The articles represent a minority viewpoint in the U.S., called "anti-triumphalist" which obviously draws from both ends of the right and left (as defined in older, more European terms, not the modern U.S. usage). The Cold War began in electioneering politics, in the form of a blend between domestic authoritarianism / effective state-worship and ramped-up interventionism via military presence, paramilitary action, and economic protectionism. In 1945, these were seen as utterly opposed policies, but by 1952, they had become married via anti-Communism, and they've been the bedrock of political success in this country ever since.

Today, what I'm thinking about most is how eagerly significant political bodies among many nations want 1952 never to end. It must have seemed like the apex of achievement to be the U.S.' golden favorite in West Germany, in the U.K., in Iran, in Greece, in Italy, in Japan, in Cuba, and so on. We can talk about why U.S. citizens are so stuck in triumphalist thought, regardless of what we perceive as political strife, but it remains most aggravating to me how committed so many others are as well, in many cases with very good reason to know better.

Best, Ron